The School Museum collection was officially opened on Saturday 4 March 2023 by the Chair of the Board of Trustees, Mr James Sturges. The Museum’s curation and establishment were generously supported by members of the Old Girls’ Association and School community.
The School Museum and Archives house a collection of important and relevant artefacts generously donated by Old Girls and their families, staff and friends of the School. The collection includes Brockwell Gill’s letter to his family in England, announcing his appointment as the School’s foundation architect; First Headmistress Fanny Hunt’s academic gown, which is over 150 years old; the first Board of Trustee meeting minutes; the original Queenie’s diary detailing a schoolgirl’s life in 1914; war memorabilia; some of our priceless collection of prize books; uniforms and badges; prospectuses and textbooks.
It’s a great place to learn about the history of the school, and our students in Years 3, 5, 7 and 9 have curriculum items involving the use of the Archives and Museum embedded in their syllabus.
The Museum’s honorary archivist, Mrs Helen Pullar and a productive and dedicated band of volunteers collectively contribute a great deal of time towards the museum collection, making it highly valuable as an educational resource.